Creating your first TikTok ad can be a challenging task. There are a lot of little details you need to pay attention to, and in this blog post, you’ll find how to create your first TikTok ad and get the best of it.
We’ve already covered how to create a campaign and ad set, and now is time to give more attention to how to create your first TikTok ad. We’ll go step by step to explain each field, what it means, and how to help you maximize your ROAS while setting up your Tik Tok ad.
As a reminder, you can always install Lebesgue: Marketing & LTV to find all of the opportunities.
The text of your TikTok conversion ad for your Shopify store should be designed to grab users’ attention and encourage them to take a specific action, such as making a purchase or visiting your online store. Here are a few tips for crafting effective ad copy:
- Keep it concise: TikTok users are known for their short attention spans, so it’s important to keep your ad copy concise and to the point. Focus on highlighting the key benefits of your product or service and what makes it unique.
- Use actionable language: Use language that encourages users to take action, such as “Shop now,” “Get yours,” or “Limited time offer.” This can help increase the chances of users following through with a purchase.
- Personalize the message: Personalize your ad copy to speak directly to your target audience. Use language that resonates with them and addresses their needs and interests.
- Include a call to action: Make it clear what you want users to do after seeing your ad. This could be visiting your website, making a purchase, or following your account for more information.
Discover Trends before they’re Trending.
Get our best trends delivered to your inbox.
Overall, the text of your TikTok conversion ad should be designed to grab users’ attention, highlight the benefits of your product or service, and encourage them to take action. By following these tips, you can create ad copy that is effective at driving conversions for your Shopify store on TikTok.
The destination page on TikTok ads
The destination page for your TikTok ads for your Shopify store should depend on the specific goals of your campaign and the product or service you are promoting. Here are a few options to consider:
- Homepage: If your main goal is to drive traffic to your website and increase brand awareness, you may want to consider sending users to your homepage. This can be a good way to showcase your brand and introduce users to your products or services.
- Collections page: If you have a specific product line or category that you want to promote, you may want to send users to a collections page on your website. This can be a good way to showcase a specific product or group of products and make it easy for users to browse and make a purchase.
- Product page: If you are promoting a specific product, you may want to send users directly to the product page on your website. This can be a good way to provide users with all the information they need to make a purchase decision, including product details, pricing, and customer reviews.
Generally, the best destination page for your TikTok ads will depend on your marketing goals and the product or service you are promoting. By using a tool like Lebesgue: Marketing & LTV and testing different destination pages, you can determine the most effective approach for your business.
Landing page: Website or TikTok Instant Page
Whether you should land users on your website or a TikTok instant page will depend on your marketing goals and the product or service you are promoting. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Marketing goals: If your main goal is to drive traffic to your website and increase brand awareness, you may want to consider landing users on your website. By leveraging marketing automation CRM, you can effectively segment your audience, personalize your messaging, and automate targeted campaigns to drive traffic to your website. This is a good way to showcase your brand and introduce users to your products or services. If your main goal is to drive conversions, such as sales or lead generation, you want to consider landing users on a product page on your website to make it easy for them to make a purchase.
- Product or service: The type of product or service you are promoting can also influence whether you should land users on your website or a TikTok instant page. If you are promoting a product or service that requires more information or has a longer sales cycle, landing users on your website may be more effective. If you are promoting a simple, low-cost product or service, landing users on a TikTok instant page is more effective.
- User experience: Consider the user experience when deciding where to land users. If you land users on your website, they will need to leave the TikTok app and load a new webpage. This can be disruptive to the user experience and may reduce the chances of conversion. Landing users on a TikTok instant page can provide a seamless experience and may be more effective at driving conversions.
Therefore, the best approach depends on your marketing goals and the product or service you are promoting. To determine which approach is most effective for your business, test landing users on both your website and a TikTok instant page.
The Call To Action (CTA) on TikTok ads
According to our analysis, the CTA “Shop now” tends to be most effective for driving conversions on TikTok. This CTA focuses users towards the purchase process and can be effective for businesses selling products or services on the platform. However, it’s important to test different CTAs to see which ones are most effective for your business and marketing goals.
Contetnt type: Single video, Collection ads or Spark ads
To give you a quick answer to this question – start with Single video ads. We made another blog post with detailed coverage of Spark ads, and here is a quick summary of other ad types.
Creating Collection TikTok ads
Collection ads on TikTok are a type of sponsored content that allows users to easily discover and browse products in a full-screen mobile experience. When creating a collection ad, businesses can create an ad that leads to an Instant Gallery page, where users can explore a curated collection of products. The products featured in the Instant Gallery page can be hand-picked by the business or chosen dynamically by TikTok Ads Manager based on the interests and needs of each individual visitor. Collection ads provide an engaging and seamless way for users to discover and explore products on TikTok.
Discover Trends before they’re Trending.
Get our best trends delivered to your inbox.
Creating Single video TikTok ads
Single video ads are standalone videos that appear in users’ feeds on TikTok. They can be created using the TikTok for Business platform or by working with influencers or content creators to create sponsored content.
If you have footage from different sources, you might need to convert videos to a compatible format before editing them. A video trimmer can come in handy to cut out unwanted parts and keep only the most engaging content for your ad. Once your video is ready, you can upload it to TikTok and start promoting your product or service.
All in all, if you want to create an apples-to-apples comparison of Facebook ads and TikTok ads, it would be best to run single video ads on both platforms, with a similar budget, optimization, landing page, and targeting.
If results are comparable to facebook or better (by comparable we mean 2x – 3x customer acquisition cost to Facebook) you can do a deep dive onto collections ads performance, as they’ll provide a more seamless purchasing experience focused on the product offering.
However, you’ll need to spend a bit more time setting up product collection and instant page experience.
What are TikTok Interactive Addons and do they improve ads CTR?
TikTok interactive add-ons are features that can be added to an ad to make it more interactive and engaging for users. Examples of interactive add-ons include polls, quizzes, and games. These add-ons can be an effective way to increase engagement with an ad and potentially improve the click-through rate (CTR).
According to TikTok, interactive add-ons can increase the average interaction rate of an ad by up to 10 times. This means that users are more likely to interact with an ad that includes an interactive add-on, such as by voting in a poll or playing a game. By increasing engagement with an ad, interactive add-ons may also increase the chances of users following through with a purchase or other desired action.
Overall, TikTok interactive add-ons can be a powerful tool for increasing engagement with an ad and potentially improving the CTR. They can be an effective way to make an ad more interactive and engaging for users, which may lead to higher conversion rates.
The downside of interactive add-ons could be for brands that avoid discounts and creating urgency – the nature of Tik Tok interactive add-ons is to emphasize percentage off, countdown times and similar experiences.
Also note, just because users click more (polls or quizzes) it doesn’t mean they will purchase more – you might distract them from real action, which could be counterproductive.
Bonus question #1: How to duplicate Ad sets on TikTok?
To duplicate an ad set on TikTok, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the TikTok for Business platform and sign in with your account.
- Click on the “Advertising” tab in the top menu and select “Ads” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the ad set that you want to duplicate.
- Click on the “Actions” drop-down menu in the top right corner of the screen and select “Duplicate.”
- A new window will appear, allowing you to edit the details of the duplicated ad set. You can make any necessary changes to the ad set, such as adjusting the budget or targeting options.
- Click “Save” to create the duplicated ad set.
By duplicating an ad set, you can create a new ad campaign that is based on an existing ad set, saving you time and effort in setting up a new campaign. This can be an effective way to quickly launch new ad campaigns on TikTok and test different targeting and budget options.
To sum it all up, here is how we’d recommend starting your first ad on TikTok:
- Make sure to install Lebesgue: Marketing & LTV to detect any opportunity or best practice you’re missing.
- Write concise and actionable text for your ad.
- Land users on whatever works for facebook. In most cases, the homepage or product page should work.
- For low-cost products use instant experience.
- Use shop now CTA.
- Start with a single video ad.
- Don’t use interactive add-ons unless you have an active sale on the website.
Once your ads are live, make sure to check TikTok benchmarks for CTR, CR and CPM using Lebesgue: Marketing & LTV.