Our app looks at the total ad frequency (prospecting + retargeting) in the last 7 days. The test fails if your total ad frequency was (is) higher than 3.
What is ad frequency?
Frequency = total impressions / reach
- Ad frequency = the number of times a user sees your ad
- Impressions = the number of times your ads were displayed
(Example: If an ad is on screen and someone scrolls down and then scrolls back up to the same ad, that counts as 1 impression. If an ad is on screen for someone 2 different times in a day, that counts as 2 impressions.)
- Reach = The number of people who saw your ads at least once.
Note: Reach is different from impressions, which may include multiple views of your ads by the same people.
The optimal ad frequency
For prospecting campaigns: everything up to 1.5 is ok
For retargeting campaigns: everything below or up to 7 is ok
Where to check your ad frequency
Step 1: Go to Ads Manager
Step 2: Go to the ad level and hit the Columns button → choose Delivery.
What to do in case of high ad frequency
- Broaden your target audience (decreases frequency)
- Refresh your creative and ad copy (reduces/avoids ad fatigue)